SABRI has an annual budget for Community Development where we work with representatives of the 16 communities within our region to develop proposals for development and upgrading of tourism and other infrastructure in these communities. This initiative has been very successful in leveraging funding from various government departments. These funds have been used for various projects such as:
- Upgrading trails,
- Developing a trail guide,
- Developing rest stops and picnic areas,
- Developing and installing community and trail signage,
- Developing cruise docking facilities in L’Anse aux Meadows,
- Installing a Leif Erikson Statue in L’Anse aux Meadows,
- Construction of portable and stationary Kiosks,
- Broadband infrastructure for the communities of St. Carols, Great Brehat and St. Anthony Bight,
Our Current Projects within Community Development are:
- Re-surfacing Bridges on the areas Snowmobile Trail
Current Proposals for future Projects:
- Developing a tourist-oriented multi-day walking route from L’Anse aux Meadows to St. Lunaire-Griquet. This Trail will be known as the Iceberg Trail.
- STATUS: The trails assessment has been completed.
- Broadband infrastructure for Goose Cove